Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rome - Day 1

Here are a few pics and summary from our first day in Rome.... 

We left Nashville airport on 4/9/12 at noon (CST) for Atlanta. Left Atlanta around 3:40PM EST for Rome. Arrived in Rome after a 9.5 hour flight at 7:00AM (ITALY time?) on 4/10/12. To say we were tired would be an understatement...however we were just getting started.

We braved the train from the airport to the Termini station in Rome. It was great.



At this point we walked to our hotel, checked our bags, and hit the town for about 8 hours. Pics to follow of all we saw. Around 5:00pm we came back to the hotel to officially check into our room. Its amazing! I am so thankful that everything has gone as smooth as it has. Christopher is a wonderful "mapper" (is that a word?). He can get us anywhere!


So enjoy the next few photos from our sites we saw today...
Trevi Fountain! Ahh-mazing!
 At Trevi Fountain! Hope these videos work...

 Again,  at Trevi Fountain! Hope these videos work...

 An amazing little pass to get pass the lines to the main museum...

Christopher outside the coliseum

 Inside the coliseum that was built in 80 AD! Wow! It was breathtaking!

Listening to our Rick Steves podcast tell us everything we need to know...forget a tour guide...we got the best! :)

 Isn't this incredible. They had over 80 "elevators" to raise the scenes for the events that took place here. The basement is 3 stories underground. That is what you are seeing here...
Roman Forum! This is the remains of Julius Caesar's house right in the middle of the forum.

I am forgetting what piece of the Roman Forum this is.

This was the most amazing smell I have ever smelled. Help me my floral friends! Hyacinth? Freesia? I don't know...it smelled like heaven and it was gorgeous...

This is Capitol Hill Square. I know the horse in the middle is very significant thanks to it being made by Michelangelo...well its a replica...but still.

 We stumbled up on this church (Name is below)...it was not in the guidebook. Unbelievable. Again the smells were fantastic. Never have I seen anything like this place. 

 Facing some ruins from a higher building. What a beautiful/perfect day to be visiting Rome.

 Christopher and I had our first Italian meal around 4:00! It was amazing pizza! You buy by the kilo...interesting...
 The margherita pizza was to die for.

Closing thoughts: I could not have had our first day go any more perfect. I even took a nap in the middle of the Roman Forum this afternoon. We are headed out to do the "Italian stroll". I can see some gelato in my near future! :) Hope everyone enjoys the highlights from today.


10 comments :

  1. Ok, I hope you can hold out posting like this, cause I'm living vicariously through you! Beautiful! Makes me happy to see the smiling faces of my dear friends. And, so glad you're there safe and sound. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! We really had a great time in Italy. Thanks to friends like you, we were able to go and not worry about anything at home.

      We appreciate you guys very much! :)

      --Amanda

      Delete
  2. I echo the Beam Team. Keep the posts coming...those of us going through Europe withdrawals appreciate it very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmen,

      Thanks so much for your help while we were gone. I am thankful that Lucy was in good hands :)

      --Amanda

      Delete
  3. I third! (is that a thing?) keep it coming- so cool to see. and also it's easier to digest little by little with you than you trying to explain three weeks in one evening when you get back. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,

      Well, I hope I kept them coming for you all! :) I couldn't imagine breaking it down day by day for anyone right now...I forgot 90% of it I feel. :)

      Thanks for reading!

      --Amanda

      Delete
  4. Amanda - thanks for sharing the pictures! It brings back such fond memories! Especially the picture with the Wisteria flowers! (that's what they are) My grandmother in Rome had those all over her terrace. They are beautiful and smell gorgeous. In Italian they are called Igliccini (not sure of that spelling) but pronounced "eegleeshini". Thanks for keeping us posted and can't wait to hear/see more! Have fun! Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miriam,

      Wisteria!! Thats what it was. We saw it everywhere. I love the smell of it.

      Italy is an amazing place to be from...you should be super proud! :)

      --Amanda

      Delete
  5. How exciting that we get to go on this trip with you in your pictures and comments. Brings back memories of Rome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky,

      Thanks for following us in our journey! We had a great time!

      --Amanda

      Delete