Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Florence - Day 9

Florence is amazing. We have thoroughly enjoyed our time in Florence so far.

This post will mainly be pictures....we did get to visit the wonderful Uffizi gallery today. I have never been one to appreciate painting/sculpture. Today was the day I was converted! Unbelievable. I think I am more an architecture person. The gallery is gorgeous. Unfortunately no pictures were allowed.

So on to the important stuff. We have had gelato twice in the past 24 hours, pizza twice in the past 24 hours, an amazing smoothie, a cannoli, and salami sandwiches to slap your mama with (Sorry mom) :). However, the highlight in the food world is our generous buffet for breakfast in the morning. I must take pictures tomorrow of it. Oh...and it's free!

Yesterday while listening to a walking tour of Florence, this city was referenced as Europe's cultual forum. I agree. The culture here is so strong. Beauty, art, and knowledge are the emphasis I think —which as Christians, we need to portray these qualities just as strong as the non-Christian.

So now for pictures:
The Duomo! Beauty at its finest!

The Duomo! Beauty at its finest!


Grom - amazing organic gelato


Really cool building to me!

Diesel!

Palazza Vecchio in Piazza della Signoria
Arno River!


Arno River and Ponte Vecchio Bridge.

Cute kids!

Cute kids!

Piazza della Signoria (outside museum)


Sunset on the way to the hotel

Beautiful hotel room!

Outside the hotel! It is so peaceful here!

The pool...to bad it has rained 90% of our trip to Italy and would not be able to use this here...

Hotel!

I think hotels.com got us a pretty good deal!

Breakfast buffet! OMG!

We did the Duomo dome (cupola) climb. Brunelleschi designed it 

The view into the church from the top of the dome.

Ha! can you see all of the writing? :)

Little window in the dome climb

Steep stairs in the dome climb

We made it to the top!

Florence is a beautiful city!

Dome Climb

Outside of the Duomo again...

Inside the Duomo museum

I liked this piece of art for some reason. Cant remember anything about it. Any takers?

Duomo Museum

Duomo "Museo"!

Michelangelo's Pieta in the Duomo Museum

Sculpture in Duomo Museum




Lunch at a local whole in the all sandwich shop...so good! I feel like our food groups in Italy are bread, dairy, and meat. 
Sandwich! 

Cute little place!
Uffizi

My only main pic inside before I realized you could not take pictures...
It rained the whole time while we were inside the Uffizi

We made it through the Uffizi in 3 hours!

We made it through the Uffizi in 3 hours!


Gelato stop!

Vanilla, Chocolate, and Chocolate Chip!

Mercato Nuove and the lucky pig!

Everyone rubs his shiny nose! :)

Shops down Via Tornabuoni. In a 13th Century Building, Salvadore Ferragamo. It was amazing!


Shops down Via Tornabuoni



Shops down Via Tornabuoni



Shops down Via Tornabuoni



Shops down Via Tornabuoni



Shops down Via Tornabuoni



Shops down Via Tornabuoni



Shops down Via Tornabuoni



Shops down Via Tornabuoni



Shops down Via Tornabuoni


Dinner to go - Part 1 - Love life juicery. It was great!

Dinner to go - Part 2 - Cannoli 

Did you all know Christopher has a street over here in Florence?

Dinner to go - Part 3 - Pizza 


Yum! Dinner on the go = the best of all of the worlds! :)

Ok that is all for now. 

Ciao!

5 comments :

  1. Careful with the "slap your momma" comments. She will come right over there and take care of you in a heartbeat. Second, did I pick up that you were gazing at small children????? HE HE HE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad,

      You probably would have slapped your mama too :)

      On your second - yes I was! :)

      Love you!
      --Amanda

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am so enjoying touring Italy with you. My favorite city is Florence by far of the cities I visited. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. DeeDee Linder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved Florence too. It is such a cultural center. We loved it!

      We must exchange stories soon!

      -Amanda

      Delete
  3. You all are so sweet, and I'm thrilled you have this amazing journey together. My turn next year.

    ReplyDelete